Friday, August 6, 2010

Living with paradox

Since I have yet to really sit down and take the time to process all that has been going on in our life for the last month and a half, I figured I'd use this quiet time while the kids are both sleeping to do just that. You will have to bare with me as normally my processing is pretty random :) so to make it a little easier, I'll just make a list of my thoughts. here goes:

I am loving that we are getting closer as a family and getting to know each other better
... at the same time, we are learning that, as culture shock hits and things get harder, it's much easier to take it out on those who are closer to you. So we've had to learn to ask for forgiveness A LOT (and extend forgiveness as well) during these stressful times.

I love learning a new language and am thankful to the Lord that He's given us a grace to be picking it up pretty quickly. A Brazilian friend came over today and brought me to the store, taught me how to cook some, and ate lunch with us. She was over for probably around 2&1/2 hours and we were able to converse with her the entire time she was here
... at the same time, it has been frustrating to not be able to share deeper parts of who I am with our Brazilian friends because of the lack of vocabulary. I can't wait to share more of the depths of my soul and the longings of my heart with them! I am excited for the day when I can talk to our friends here about how the Lord is moving in their lives and even just about their feelings, but I know the day will come and, for now, I'm learning more about patience.

I love that my kids have started calling me "mamae" (Portuguese for mom) and using little phrases in Portuguese during normal conversation.
... and I know that a day will come when my kids will probably be interpreting for me. It has been fun watching them go from being confused about the idea of others speaking in a different language to actually being able to understand little phrases. The first week we were here, we were at a pastor's conference and there was a woman speaking on a microphone (which they turn up REALLY LOUD here) and Naomi said "I can't understand her because she's too loud." Even after we explained that the reason she wasn't able to understand was because the woman was speaking Portuguese, Naomi still responded, "no, it's because it's loud" :) And today, when we were at our language school, our professora asked Naomi a couple of questions in Portuguese and Naomi answered them appropriately! It's so cute to hear her little accent!

I have started to come to grips with the idea of doing dishes after every meal and cleaning the floor at least once a day - 2 things that I don't enjoy doing in the least, but are necessity here because spaces are small and they get dirty quick.
... and it's helped me to identify with a larger percentage of women around the world who have been doing this (and much much more) their entire life. I have lived a very privileged life thus far and I am learning to be thankful for what I have and remember to pray for those who have even less.

One of the most difficult things for me to wrap myself around since we've been here are expectations. I know Steve talked a little about this before, but it's something I'm dealing with as well. As a mother, walking into a new culture, I have wondered often how people are perceiving my parenting. Is it culturally appropriate for me to spank my kids, or even discipline them by raising my voice?... Am I a "bad parent" if I let some older kids watch my kids while I go into someone else's house and sit and converse with them?.. Can I let my kids run around our driveway area by themselves, or do I have to sit down there with them while they're playing? These are only a couple of the questions that I mull over all day, and may not know the answer to for some time.
... thankfully, we're learning that Brazilians are not normally afraid to share their opinions, and so hopefully once we know the language a little more, we will be able to question other parents to learn how they live life with little kids. Until then, once again, I need to learn patience.

There are many more of these to come, but I don't want to write a book. Thank you for reading this far and for walking in this journey with us! We would not be able to do this without the backing of the amazing people who we call our family and friends! We are so thankful that the Lord has called us to this place and are excited to be able to do our part in the body of Christ. Thank you for also doing your part, and may the Lord bless your obedience. It is my prayer that the body of Christ would function as a healthy body throughout the world, and that as a result, others would be drawn to the feet of Jesus!

Deus a bencoi (God bless you) -

Shannon

No comments:

Post a Comment